I forgot my password

This World
The forum has a new format for working on a revival - new everything if people decide that they want to start a new campaign.

* The Warden Commander is a small dwarf named Nygozy, duster background - may change
* Alistair Theirin is the King and did the ritual with Morrigan to save Nygozy.
* The Cousland background is taken by Macha.* - don't know yet
* The elf background is taken by Calliara.

Latest topics
» CALLING - Anyone Left?
Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am by Damien Zeehem

» Super Quick Sketch of Badassery
Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 pm by Calliara

» WHO CAN STILL PLAY?
Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm by Calliara

» Damien - the unoriginal soundtrack
Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 pm by Damien Zeehem

» The dawn of new days
Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm by Damien Zeehem

» Dwelling of Tears - A Double Entendre
Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm by Macha

» So - Dragon Age 3
Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am by Ianto

» MSN Failure (and Graduating!)
Wed May 29, 2013 10:41 pm by Final Warrior

» Happy birthday Dragonis !
Tue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm by Dragonis

Important

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Important

Post  Calliara on Fri May 13, 2011 11:56 am

As you probably know (or not), there has been an earthquake here in Spain. It wasn't as terrible as others, like Haiti and such, of course (we're suppossed to be civilization... HAH). But there are a few dead people, and many historical buildings are severely damaged.

The reasons for what the city of Lorca is almost destroyed are competence of judges and police, who must investigate why buildings where people live were so weak in an earthquake zone (they are suppossed to be built following some guidance, it's law, and obviously someone is richer now than before). But the historical buildings, that's another thing.

I still don't know, but probably my group and I would go there to evaluate the buildings and try to conservate as many art pieces we can save. I'm just posting this there in the case I disappear for some days. I'll know it better in a couple of days. Now, obviously, the more important thing is people, and so the place is full of police, firefighters, military and such taking care of them, and architects and such evaluating the buildings. For now, it is said that the 80% of the city maybe will have to be demolished.
Calliara
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Important

Post  Canus on Fri May 13, 2011 12:57 pm

X_X That's horrible. A loss of people, and of priceless history. It's always terrible when something old is destroyed, as it's a part of history that cannot be replaced. I hope that you guys can save a lot of antiquities.

Stay safe, Calliara. And good luck.

Character Information
Name: Canus of Tevinter
Class: Rogue/Mage (Arcane Warrior, Duelist, Blood Mage)
Profile Thread[/size]

Font Colour = Canus speaking Common, Canus speaking Arcanum, Canus speaking Qunari
Canus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nygozy on Fri May 13, 2011 1:10 pm

That is extremely sad. I am glad that you aand the ones you love are ok though. Just take care and if you disappear we will know why and understand. *hugs*

Nygozy's Bio
Nygozy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Calliara on Fri May 13, 2011 1:55 pm

I was not even close to there, but still... it's sad. Sad because if it hadn't been for the bad conditions of the buildings, none of them would have collapsed, and no one would be dead. It is sad, and pathetic, and... I can't even think of the word, but I feel shame knowing that certain someones are richer now because they built badly those buildings, knowing they were in an earthquake zone.

I still don't know if I'll be going, first they are taking care of the people, like 50000 are sleeping without a ceiling over their heads, in tents or just in the streets, in a city of 80000 (as big as my own hometown). Once they are taken care of, and architects and such say the place is somewhat safe, then we will go there and see what we can do with the churches, the castle, the monastery and such.

Here you can see how the church's tower collapse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvn148YDQmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihvSV0x-JnY more images.

Things can be rebuilt
Calliara
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior on Fri May 13, 2011 4:22 pm

It's like the world is falling apart.

-- Griffinhart

"My word is my honor. My honor is my life."
-- Demonchild, Angelkin, the Blackest Seraph, the Final Warrior

"I'm a traitor, will you trust me? I'm dead, will you return me to life? I'm hated, will you love me? I've lost my innocence, will you help me find it?
...Save your breath, there are some things you can't get back."
-- The ghost of Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

"Was au ga chs mea eterne manaf."
Final Warrior

View user profile http://www.innocentmachine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonis on Fri May 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Hopefully the death toll was not too high. It'd be a waste of so much life if this is all due to neglegence. Even so, stay safe Calli (if you go, natch) and my condolences to the people now homeless or injured.
Dragonis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Calliara on Fri May 13, 2011 4:29 pm

The 'funniest' thing is that that day, the earthquake was suppossed to happen in Rome

At this moment there are 9 official deceases. One of them being a 13 year old kid, two pregnant women, a mother that protected her two children with her own body, and others that were killed by collapsing buildings while they were trying to get out. There are like 300 wounded, some of them critical.
Calliara
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elenri on Fri May 13, 2011 6:03 pm

It's a shame when people lose there lives. Artifacts take a back seat to life but to be honest not many things can hold up against a earthquake especially one of power. Chicago 1972 was said to be able to hold up against major earthquakes. 42 buildings fell and over 100,000 people died. But if it was faulty building the guy who got richer should go to prison.
Elenri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Calliara on Sat May 14, 2011 4:15 am

To be honest, if a building is built as it should, in an earthquake zone, it won't collapse. Ever.

Earthquake in Japan was a 9 in Richter scale, and not a single building (if any) collapsed. What killed the japanese was the tsunami, not the earthquake.

Earthquake in Haiti was a 7 and destroyed the island, because buildings were shit.

Calliara
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraven Shadow on Sat May 14, 2011 1:18 pm

It is unfortunate, that in poor countries, they do not have the resources to build buildings that can withstand earthquakes.

However, in developed countries, there is NO EXCUSE why their buildings are not up to the proper earthquake codes.

Same with buildings in tornado or hurricane ridden areas. Unfortunately in the states, Tornado alley there is a large abundance of mobile ( trailer ) homes. Yes a direct hit from a tornado is going to tear pretty much anything apart, however, if the buildings are built properly, they can withstand powerful wind forces.

There are just way to many greedy contractors out there that cut way to many corners just to make a bit of extra money. Then they pay off the inspectors to look the other way when they do it. I have yet to see an honest contractor that is not going to try to rip you off somehow. Either by faulty materials, or over pricing.

Kraven Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elenri on Sat May 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Forces of nature are devastating and destructive. Yes we can build and prepare but personally I have never seen a building made that can get hit by a F5 tornado and not be torn up. Dallas TX 1995 A newly built building was nearly ripped in half from the power of the Tornado. That was a F3. Hawaii 1965 hit by a Tsunami 3 buildings fell and a lot of people died.

Phoenix Arizona 1998 was hit by a massive Lightning Storm that destroyed 2 buildings and left many severely damaged.

I study Natural Disasters don't ask why.
Elenri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top