I forgot my password

This World
The forum has a new format for working on a revival - new everything if people decide that they want to start a new campaign.

* The Warden Commander is a small dwarf named Nygozy, duster background - may change
* Alistair Theirin is the King and did the ritual with Morrigan to save Nygozy.
* The Cousland background is taken by Macha.* - don't know yet
* The elf background is taken by Calliara.

Latest topics
» CALLING - Anyone Left?
Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am by Damien Zeehem

» Super Quick Sketch of Badassery
Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 pm by Calliara

» WHO CAN STILL PLAY?
Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm by Calliara

» Damien - the unoriginal soundtrack
Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 pm by Damien Zeehem

» The dawn of new days
Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm by Damien Zeehem

» Dwelling of Tears - A Double Entendre
Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm by Macha

» So - Dragon Age 3
Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am by Ianto

» MSN Failure (and Graduating!)
Wed May 29, 2013 10:41 pm by Final Warrior

» Happy birthday Dragonis !
Tue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm by Dragonis

Sorry.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sorry.

Post  Devin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Huge amount of reading for classes + a dead muse means I won't be posting for a while. Apologies. D:

Benedictions 4:10

Character Information
Name: Devin
Class: Warrior (Templar)
Profile thread

The deep dark before dawn's light seems eternal, but know that the sun always rises.
Devin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sorry.

Post  Jezarine on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Real life takes precedence. That is your future! Just say hey now and again so we know you are alive Smile
Jezarine
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:44 am

I wish I only had readings for some of my classes... I just bombed a memory manager (spent like, 10+ hours working on it, couldn't resolve an issue with my linked list pointers, gave up four hours before it was due).

Hope you have better luck with your classes than I with mine.

-- Griffinhart

"My word is my honor. My honor is my life."
-- Demonchild, Angelkin, the Blackest Seraph, the Final Warrior

"I'm a traitor, will you trust me? I'm dead, will you return me to life? I'm hated, will you love me? I've lost my innocence, will you help me find it?
...Save your breath, there are some things you can't get back."
-- The ghost of Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

"Was au ga chs mea eterne manaf."
Final Warrior

View user profile http://www.innocentmachine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks guys. And ouchies, FW. What's a memory manager?

Character Information
Profile thread

The deep dark before dawn's light seems eternal, but know that the sun always rises.
Devin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 am

It's a way to do dynamic memory allocation for a given program better than how whatever language you're using does dynamic memory allocation. For example, in C++, keywords "new" and "delete" (as well as "delete []") do dynamic memory allocation (or deallocation, in the case of delete/delete []) okay enough if you're working with something like, eh... a hundred or so objects, maybe? Easier still if all of your objects are of uniform size. But for seriously memory-intensive applications (like, say, a AAA-title computer game, such as Dragon Age), where you might have thousands of objects, of varying size, being allocated and deallocated constantly (remember, "good graphics" = 60 frames per second, which means doing all those calculations sixty times a second [or more; 60FPS is the minimum for good, usually]) doing dynamic memory allocation/management with what the language provides by default is a special kind of hell. So you write a memory manager to do it better.

Specifically, the memory manager I was writing is passed a couple of variables to determine how many objects should be allocated to a page of memory, as well as how many pages can be allocated ("logical" memory, which is memory that the manager allows you to have, based on how much memory you want to allow yourself to allocate, versus "physical" memory, which is more-or-less how much RAM you've got packed into your system; there's also "virtual" memory, which is essentially your hard drive. The problem with using virtual memory is that RAM read/writes happen often and fast; because RAM chipsets are all electric and have no moving parts, this isn't so much a problem [you end up only really having to deal with heat issues]; but a [non-solid-state] hard drive can only spin its platters so fast, and the head can only move so fast, so paging into virtual memory is slow and painful because it causes your hard drive to thrash), and then allocate that memory. Then, as the client requested objects, I would dynamically create pages based on how much memory the client has already used and how much memory was left for me to allocate. (That's a really basic, and partially incorrect [mostly by omission], summary. It's far more complicated that that, but not actually as complicated as that previous independent clause makes it out to be - conceptually. Implementation-wise, it's... well, I'm terrible with pointers and pointer arithmetic anyways, so it was even harder for me than a person who isn't terrible at/with those things.)

Ostensibly, had I done it right (and done it right enough that my professor would give it a "flawless" mark), I could proceed to just stick my memory manager into any games I'd be developing during my time at my school. (Of course, I didn't get it right. Eh. Who knows, I might just go back and re-try over the summer, if only so I can get the damn thing done a better, correct way. It's now a matter of pride...)

More information.

-- Griffinhart

"I'm a traitor, will you trust me? I'm dead, will you return me to life? I'm hated, will you love me? I've lost my innocence, will you help me find it?
-- The ghost of Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Calliara on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 pm

May I ask if you're studying alien technology or something?
Calliara
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:09 pm

And suddenly I am reminded of the times on SG-1 when Samantha Carter would go off on one of her technobabbles. x3. I understood some of that, at least~

Hey, FW, you know more than I do about those things. And more than Calliara seems to know, as well as the rest of us, probably. xD. Be proud of that.

And I've taken care of the homework that was plaguing me. :3 Finished it in a single sitting, just about. Thus I'll get to posting as soon as I can, and I have a new character on the way.

Character Information
Profile thread

Devin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nygozy on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Oh gods it is like listening to my husband Shocked Is it bad that I totally phased out after sentence number three even though I know a bit of that kind of stuff? I can understand sciences if I concentrate and think but if I don't I'm all wha duh huh.

Yay for getting stuff done! And double yay for another character! Smile

Nygozy's Bio
Nygozy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Calliara on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 am

It's more that I don't understand most of the technique vocabulary than I don't understand it at all, I studied science as well even if I have a degree in History and I'm an archeologist... but wow boy
Calliara
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm attending a certain school, famous (or at least, well-known) for outputting a lot of very good game programmers and artists.

(So basically I'm studying a mish-mash of computer science and software engineering, so as to make digital games.)

-- Griffinhart

Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Should be able to get back into posting routine once I get some rest. (My brother and I have taken ill. x.x)

Character Information
Profile thread

Devin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jezarine on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 am

Tell me it isn't the stomach flu. My husband and I got that and it is not nice. Stupid spinnies, body aches, hot cold spells ... well the hot cold spells were fun because I kept telling hubby he was going through menopause.

*hugs and gives chicken broth*
Jezarine
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Canus on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Luckily, it isn't. I wish you hadn't had to deal with such awful sickness, though. D:
Canus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 pm

School and stuff have kept me busy lately. That, coupled with the fact that DA2 is coming out this week...yeah. ^^;

Character Information
Profile thread

Devin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nygozy on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:13 pm

LOL! It's not surprising. I'm sure it will be very quiet in here when DA2 comes out too.

Nygozy's Bio
Nygozy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum